Training to Live

living and learning, one day at a time

Port Colborne Canal Days and a Bike Race »« not a personal best

what i carried home on my bike, part I

this has become a bit of a running joke in my office, and i feel like i should make it into a regular blog feature. every thursday (from june to october) at the park up the street from work, there is a little farmer’s market.  i love it and have talked about it here. as i mentioned,  i have a bit of a problem and usually tend to buy more than i need AND more than what i can manage to get home since i either walk/bus or ride my bike. this problem becomes exacerbated in the fall, during winter squash season. squash are big and heavy!

squash aren’t the only things challenging to get home though – summer fruits, while not as cumbersomely large and heavy are pretty fragile and prone to being squished.

this photo is actually from market a week and a half ago (asparagus season is sadly finished now)

my two panniers contained the following:

• bike lock (cable + combination lock; i leave a U lock at work)
  • pair of shoes (the black flip flops)
  • bike fixing stuff (tube, co2 cartridges, tire levers, etc)
  • 2 pairs of capris (one from my morning bike ride and one from wearing at work)
  • 1 zip up jacket
  • the shirt I was wearing at work during the day
  • various toiletries (comb, deoderant, etc)
  • 1 big head of lettuce
  • 2 bundles of asparagus
  • 1 litre (maybe more?) of small cucumbers
  • 1 quart of strawberries
  • 1 quart of cherries
  • 1 rosemary plant
  • 1 lavender plant
  • 1 large peashoot plant
  • 1 tupperware of cheese
  • my wallet
  • bike gloves (it was too hot to wear them on the ride home)

in other news, i went for a 3K run in my vibrams yesterday and HOLY COW my calves are feelin’ it today. 3K was probably longer than i should have gone for, given that my last “barefoot” run was only 2K long and that was more than 2 months ago. i plan to try and use them more for actual running lots this summer (i mostly just wear them as walking/around town shoes). my next real race isn’t until mid-late august, so i think i’m going to ease off of serious training for a little while.

, , , , ,
June 29, 2010 at 7:36 am
5 comments »
  • July 11, 2010 at 1:55 pmKirsten

YOu sure carried a lot home with you! So curious about Vibrams and how it feels to run in them.

• August 9, 2010 at 6:37 amhaya

i need to do more of these posts! last week i brought home a watermelon. the week before that, there were 7 cobs of corn (in addition to all the other stuff)… hahaha

vibrams are super awesome. running in them is totally different feeling – because your form changes and you use different muscles. i love it.

• January 2, 2012 at 12:47 pmSlot machine Jack Hammer

fabuleusa tosimpe de chimeco y ssescr con mogra tesjem. ademicha a erento y xorarero tadario con ontreal enturante!

• May 3, 2013 at 7:35 amGreat clips printable coupons

I have observed that online degree is getting preferred because obtaining your college degree online has turned into a popular solution for many people. Many people have certainly not had a possible opportunity to attend a normal college or university however seek the increased earning possibilities and career advancement that a Bachelor’s Degree gives. Still some others might have a diploma in one field but would want to pursue something they now have an interest in.

• May 6, 2013 at 2:43 pmDiscount vouchers

Thanks for the guidelines shared on the blog. One more thing I would like to state is that fat reduction is not all about going on a fad diet and trying to lose as much weight as you’re able in a couple of weeks. The most effective way to lose weight naturally is by getting it slowly and obeying some basic ideas which can provide help to make the most out of your attempt to drop some weight. You may learn and be following some tips, however reinforcing awareness never hurts.