Training to Live

living and learning, one day at a time

what i carried home on my bike, part I »« inspiration

not a personal best

out of the 13 races i’ve done in the last 6 years, there have been only two occasions when i have raced a distance and performed worse than i had in the past.

the first time was my 5th half marathon that i ran last spring – it was much hotter than i expected and i was unprepared. i wasn’t drinking enough and i likely hadn’t trained properly. i ran the course 4 minutes slower than i had the year before, and for some reason, it didn’t really bother me. by the fall, i bounced back to my old time (almost a minute faster) and a few weeks later, took 3 more minutes off.

DSC00531.JPG

(this was taken at that race, early on before things got really rough)

the second time was this weekend. half marathon #8. it was on a course i had never done before (this year i purposefully sought out new, interesting races to do. i’d seen this one on angela’s blog – she did the 10K last year). the race was super small (only a few hundred people) and not as well organized as most of the other races i do (my race kit had 4 boxes of triscuit crackers and a whole bunch of wrist and menstrual cramp tummy heat packs. random!). there was no elevation map on the race website, so i had no idea how many hills there would be! i knew it would be hilly-ish, but i wasn’t ready for steep hills in kilometre 2. at kilometre 16, it started to POUR. thunderstorms. i was soaked in an instant (squishy shoes), which didn’t help my defeated attitude. i made the same mistakes i’ve made many many times in the past: i didn’t drink enough and i didn’t take in enough calories, and you better believe i hit the wall. my splits were getting slower, i was getting tireder (is that a word?), and i just wanted the whole thing to be over! i had enough energy at the end to sprint the last kilometre and pass a bunch of people, which made it obvious that i hadn’t run hard enough during the rest of the race.

gretchen rubin says that people feel happier when they are improving and this is true for me! she talks about how having an atmosphere of growth is important. i don’t have any more races until august, but i will take this lesson and work towards growing and improving, not only my time, but my attitude and outlook on myself too! i know i can’t get faster each and every race forever because that is obviously unsustainable. from now on, i will embrace my body for what it can do, even if it’s not always as fast as i wish it were!

although i’ve had a lot of fun with a busy spring racing season, i am happy that i have a few months of “breather” time to refocus and really work hard on my speed and hills without the pressure of getting a long long run in every single weekend.

until then, here are some funny pictures.

DSC01489.JPG

i am wearing a bondi band that says yoga on it and has a stick figure in tree pose. i am trying to imitate that here.

DSC01503.JPG DSC01509.JPG

although these were taken pre-race, this pretty much sums up how i would feel after!

Screen shot 2010-06-15 at 8.14.30 PM.png Screen shot 2010-06-15 at 8.14.01 PM.png

can you see the pain in my eyes? my legs look so slow, i may as well be walking (oh and i did half to stop and walk a few times up parts of those killer hills). i look a tiny bit deranged on the right, no? it kind of felt awesome passing some people at the end.

, , , ,
June 15, 2010 at 7:40 pm
10 comments »
  • June 23, 2010 at 8:12 amFit Chick in the City

I believe that our bad races set us up for even better races in the future. I always learn a lot from the bad ones. Great race photos, btw!

• June 23, 2010 at 12:17 pmhaya

agreed!

haha thanks. i still have yet to have race photos that are awesome enough to buy.

• June 23, 2010 at 3:18 pmKirsten

Too bad we didn’t connect before the race! I really wish they had an elevation map on the website. I didn’t really think about the hills until I saw the first one and though oh no…that hill by one of the wineries (tawse I think?) was humungous!!

• January 2, 2012 at 1:10 pmSuper lucky Frog

fabuleuse culint de viento y ssecamos con ariones rormir. pretupir a sseco y nemil nciasismo con cuzat tindentel!

• April 21, 2013 at 9:17 amscott

If you wish for to grow your experience only keep visiting this site and be updated with the most recent information posted
    here.

• April 30, 2013 at 9:18 pmEbay coupons

This is the correct blog for anyone who wants to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its nearly exhausting to argue with you (not that I actually would need…HaHa). You positively put a new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just great!

• May 2, 2013 at 3:01 pmBuca

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my users would definitely benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Regards!

• May 3, 2013 at 9:44 ampeter

Hi there are using WordPress for your site platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
    Do you need any html coding knowledge to
    make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• May 7, 2013 at 2:29 amMichele Hayes

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told was once a amusement account it. Look advanced to far delivered agreeable from you! However, how can we keep in touch?

• Yesterday at 11:23 amBrett Beierschmitt

Interesting. You state that the alternative to the microbeads will be organic. Yet the microbeads are organic- made of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen- as are all petroleum based products. You might want to clarify the meaning of this statement.